Tooth Extractions to Repair and Replace Oral Health Complications
There are several different reasons why a tooth may need to be extracted, one of the most common being that a tooth has become severely damaged, either due to decay or physical trauma. A tooth extraction may also be necessary if the tooth has become so severely infected that antibiotic treatment or a root canal is not able to cure it, in preparation for orthodontia to ensure straight teeth and avoid overcrowding, or wisdom teeth removal, which is commonly recommended for patients between the ages of 17-25.
At Dental Serenity™, we offer a comprehensive range of dental procedures, from common treatments like fillings or root canal therapy, cosmetic treatments like veneers or teeth whitening, emergency care, restorative procedures like dental implants and full mouth reconstruction, and oral and maxillofacial surgery like tooth extractions and removal of wisdom teeth. To ensure you are comfortable and have as enjoyable an experience as possible, we also offer sedation dentistry so you can remain calm and receive the care you need. If you are interested in learning more about the quality services we offer, or if you would like to schedule a consultation for tooth extraction or removal of your wisdom teeth, contact our office at 703-445-9600, stop by our clinic located at 17181 Wayside Dr., Dumfries, Virginia, or schedule an appointment online.
Procedural Steps of Tooth Extraction
Prior to performing a professional teeth whitening procedure, an initial evaluation will be necessary to determine if our teeth whitening treatment is right for you. This evaluation will also allow us to determine the underlying reason why your teeth have become stained or discolored and whether additional treatment is necessary. If it is determined that you are a viable candidate for teeth whitening, we will place a dental tray in your mouth that will apply the whitening product to your teeth. Unlike many over-the-counter teeth whitening products, which can take weeks to provide results and contain chemicals that may cause discomfort or tooth sensitivity, our treatment provides noticeable results in just one hour and is free of all those chemicals.
What is the Cost of Tooth Extraction?
The cost of tooth extraction or removal of wisdom teeth will depend on a variety of factors, including how many teeth need to be extracted, whether the tooth or teeth is extracted, diagnostic exams, dental sedation, the cost of potential pain medication and/or antibiotics, and whether you are covered by dental insurance. If you do have dental insurance, your final bill will be determined by your dental insurance coverage, co-pay requirements, and annual deductibles.
Our clinic is in network with most PPOs and accepts all insurance plans. We also offer interest free financing through Lending Club, and CareCredit, or you may consider joining our Dental Serenity Membership Club to save money on treatment and simplify your payments for preventative care. To learn more about Dental Serenity Membership Club, click on the following link: https://dental-serenity.illumitrac.com/
For your convenience, we accept all forms of credit and debit cards, including Discover, Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
Aftercare Following Tooth Extractions
Following your tooth extraction, it is essential to follow post-operative instructions, which will be provided and reviewed before you leave. These instructions will typically cover:
- Controlling swelling: Swelling is very common following surgery. To help minimize swelling, apply an ice pack on your face for 15-minute intervals, 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. While sleeping, keep your head slightly elevated and between two pillows. It is common to wake up more swollen the next day. Continue using ice packs and take anti-inflammatories as needed and eventually the swelling will go away.
- Diet: It is important to chew on the opposite side of your mouth and follow a soft food diet following your procedure for 3-5 days, sticking to foods like scrambled eggs, yogurt, or soup and any food you can cut with a fork (cooked vegetables, casseroles, ground meat dishes, etc.) Avoid foods with berries or seeds in them, nuts, and popcorn until you are fully healed.
- Medications: Follow the prescribed dosage of any pain medication or antibiotics until your prescription runs out. Over-the-counter pain relief medication can also be taken to reduce any pain or discomfort during this recovery period.
- Modifications to daily activities: It is important to rest and avoid excessive physical exertion for the first week following your procedure. During this recuperative period, it is not uncommon to experience chills or feelings of weakness for the first 1-3 days following your procedure. If this feeling lasts longer than 72 hours, contact our office.
- Oral hygiene: It is important to avoid disturbing the surgical area following your procedure. It is also important to avoid rinsing, spitting, or using a straw for at least 24 hours. Once the recovery process is complete, it is important to continue practicing good oral hygiene habits such as brushing your teeth twice daily, flossing regularly, and scheduling regular dental exams and checkups.
By following these instructions, you will significantly speed up the recovery process and continue to enjoy good oral health and maintain a bright, healthy smile.
Dentistry with a Gentle Touch
At Dental Serenity™, we understand that visiting the dentist can cause concern and anxiety, which is why we do everything we can to ensure that your experience is an enjoyable one. To help provide you with as enjoyable an experience as possible, our office is fitted with free high-speed wireless internet, flat screen TVs in all of our treatment rooms, soothing music to put you in a relaxed state, aromatherapy, and neck massagers in our waiting room. We are also committed to providing you with services when you need them most, which is why we offer early morning and late evening appointments throughout the week.
To schedule an appointment for a tooth extraction or wisdom teeth removal, contact us today. We look forward to providing you with the best dental care possible delivered in a comfortable and calm environment by professionals who are committed to ensuring that you receive the personalized care you deserve and continue to enjoy good oral health!